Are you wondering what’re the best guitars for grunge?
Grunge is a unique type of rock music that emerged in the early 1990s. It is known for its heavy, distorted sound and angst-filled lyrics. If you are looking to create grunge music, you need the right guitar!
In this article, we will discuss the 8 best guitars for grunge. We’ll also provide tips on how to choose the right guitar for your needs.
Let’s get started!
8 Best Guitars for Grunge
|1||Squier by Fender Classic Vibe 70’s||See On Amazon|
|2||Fender Player Stratocaster HSS||See On Amazon|
|3||Epiphone Les Paul Special VE (Ebony)||See On Amazon|
|4||Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar NOS – 3-Tone||See On Amazon|
|5||Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AM93QM||See On Amazon|
|6||Fender Kurt Cobain Jag-Stang||See On Amazon|
|7||Squier by Fender Affinity Telecaster Beginner||See On Amazon|
|8||Fender American Performer Mustang||See On Amazon|
Tips on How to Choose the Right Grunge Guitar
When choosing a grunge guitar, there are a few things you need to consider:
- Sound: The sound of your guitar is the most important factor to consider. You want a guitar that has a heavy, distorted sound. Look for guitars with high output pickups.
- Playability: Grunge music is often fast and aggressive. You want a guitar that is easy to play and has a fast neck.
- Looks: Grunge music is often dark and angry. Choose a guitar with a dark finish, such as black or brown.
Now that you know what to look for in a grunge guitar, let’s take a look at some of the best guitars for Grunge.
List of the Best Guitars for Grunge (2022)
The Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar Electric Guitar is inspired by 1970s-era Jaguar models and features Fender-designed alnico pickups, a vintage-tinted gloss neck finish, nickel-plated hardware, and hand orientation: Right.
Moreover, it is equipped with an alder body, maple neck, vintage-style bridge, and non-locking floating vibrato. It is one of the best guitars for grunge.
If you are looking for a guitar that looks and sounds like a classic Jaguar, the Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar Electric Guitar is the best option for you.
- 100% designed by Fender
- Inspired by 1970s-era Jaguar models
- Fender-Designed alnico pickups
- Vintage tinted gloss neck finish (Nickel-plated hardware)
The Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar – Maple Fingerboard – Aged Cherry is a versatile guitar that you can use for almost any style of music. The player series humbucking bridge pickup and two single-coil Stratocaster middle and neck pickups will give you plenty of classic tones, while the “modern C” shaped neck profile makes soloing easy.
In addition, the 2-point tremolo bridge with bent steel saddles provides smooth tremolo action and a comfortable playing feel. Plus, it is another one of the best guitars for grunge.
- It comes with a versatile guitar that you can use for almost any style of music
- The Player Series Humbucking Bridge Pickup
- Two single-coil Stratocaster middle and neck pickups
- “Modern C” shaped neck profile
Epiphone’s Les Paul Special VE electric guitar has a vintage worn finish and open coil humbuckers for a classic rock sound. The slim-taper D profile neck is made of Okoume and has black speed knob controls.
- Alder BODY with gloss finish; Flame Maple top – for a classic look and feel.
- One PLAYER SERIES humbucking Bridge pickup – delivers all the power you need.
- Two PLAYER SERIES single-coil Stratocaster middle and neck pickups – provide a range of tones to suit any style.
- “Modern C”-Shaped neck profile – for hours of comfortable play.
- 9. 5″-Radius FINGERBOARD – offers easy navigation around the fretboard.
The Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar NOS electric guitar gives you a unique look and sound that is perfect for any player. With a DiMarzio hum-bucking DP103 PAF 36th Anniversary neck pickup and DP100 Super Distortion bridge pickup, this guitar delivers a legendary tone that is sure to please any fan of Nirvana or grunge music.
Best of all, the modern “c” shaped neck and 24″ scale length give you a comfortable feel and smooth playability, while the black textured vinyl hard-shell case and exclusive Fender Kurt Cobain book with photos and commentary make this a must-have for any fan of the legendary musician.
- DiMarzio hum bucking DP103 PAF 36th Anniversary neck pickup
- DP100 Super Distortion bridge pickup
- Modern “c” shaped neck
- 24″ scale length
The Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AM93QM electric guitar offers a semi-hollow-body design with a quilt maple top, 2 humbucking pickups, and a quilt ash body.
Besides, the nyatoh/maple neck and ebony fretboard provide great tone and sustain, while the antique yellow sunburst finish gives your guitar that classic look.
Alder Body with gloss finish; Flame Maple top
- One Player Series humbucking Bridge pickup; two-player Series single-coil Stratocaster middle and neck pickups
- “Modern C”-Shaped neck profile
- 9. 5″-Radius Fingerboard
- 2-Point Tremolo Bridge with bent-steel saddles
The Fender Kurt Cobain Jag-Stang is the most anticipated guitar of the year. The Fender Kurt Cobain Jag-Stang is a faithful reissue of Kurt’s original Jaguar that he modified heavily with new pickups and controls, turning it into a unique instrument that has become an icon in its own right.
It was originally built by Fender Custom Shop Master Builder Chris Fleming and now features his signature on the headstock.
- Alder is a lightweight and strong wood that provides a balanced tone and plenty of sustain.
- The maple neck and rosewood fingerboard offer a bright and snappy tone with plenty of sustain. The 7.25” radius is perfect for both chords and solos.
- The vintage-style single-coil pickups offer a classic sound, while the custom humbucking pickups provide extra power and tonal options.
The Squier by Fender Affinity Telecaster Beginner Electric Guitar – 2-Color Sunburst is a great choice for beginner electric guitar players. It has two single-coil pickups, which offer a great range of tones, and a 3-way pickup selector switch, making it easy to choose your favorite tones.
Besides, the bundle includes the guitar, a Fender Lunchbox, clip-on tuner, string winder, picks, strap, and strings, making it the perfect gift for any musician or Fender enthusiast.
- The Affinity Telecaster features two single-coil pickups for a great range of tones.
- Choose your favorite tones with the 3-way pickup select switch, and easily change between them using the knobs on the guitar’s body.
- Get everything you need to start playing right out of the box!
The Fender American Performer Mustang solid-body electric guitar gives you the classic style and vibe of a vintage Mustang with some modern upgrades for today’s player.
Also, it offers an alder body for a classic tone, while the maple neck and rosewood fingerboard give you smooth playability. 2 single-coil pickups provide plenty of spank and sparkle, perfect for everything from rock to country. You’ll love the 3-tone sunburst finish on this guitar, as well as the comfortable feel of the rosewood fingerboard.
- Fender’s American Performer Mustang is a solid body electric guitar featuring a single-coil pickup in the neck position and a humbucking pickup at the bridge. The 3-tone sunburst finish on this axe gives it that classic look, while its rosewood fingerboard adds to its great sound.
- This ax features two single-coil pickups: one at the neck and one at the bridge. These pickups are designed to create bright tones with lots of presence, perfect for playing rock ‘n’ roll or blues.
Conclusion: Best Guitars for Grunge
In the end, the best guitar for grunge is the one that you feel comfortable playing. All of the guitars on this list are great choices for any musician, whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been playing for years. So, don’t be afraid to experiment and find the perfect guitar for your own personal style.
Do you have a favorite grunge guitar? Let us know in the comments below! Meanwhile, you can also check out 10 Best Guitar for Death Metal: How to Choose the Right One.
Frequently Ask Questions
What is the best guitar for grunge?
There is no definitive answer, as each guitarist has their own preference. However, some of the best guitars for grunge include the Fender Kurt Cobain Jag-Stang, Squier by Fender Affinity Telecaster Beginner Electric Guitar – Sunburst, and the Fender American Performer Mustang.
What are the best pickups for a grunge guitar?
There is no definitive answer, as each guitarist has their own preference. However, some of the best pickups for a grunge guitar include single-coil pickups and humbucking pickups.
What is grunge?
Grunge is a rock music genre and subculture that emerged during the mid-1980s in the Pacific Northwest U.S. state of Washington, particularly in Seattle and nearby towns. The style became known as a fusion of punk rock and heavy metal and was associated with a DIY ethic, grunge fashion, and apathy or slothfulness.
Musically, grunge is characterized by thick, heavy guitar distortion (“heavy crunch”), sometimes with feedback, a strong rhythm section, and song structures that are often simpler than those of other genres. Grunge lyrics tend to be bleak or angst-filled, often addressing themes such as social alienation, apathy, confinement, and a desire for freedom.
That’s all for the list of the best guitars for grunge. You can also check out 5 Best Humbucker For Stratocaster: The Ins And Outs and 10 Best Guitars for Corridos: How to Find the Perfect One.